hiveleak attacks Austin Muncipal Airport

Incident Date:

July 4, 2022

World map



hiveleak attacks Austin Muncipal Airport


Austin Muncipal Airport




Austin, USA

Minnesota, USA

First Reported

July 4, 2022

Hiveleak Claims Ransomware Attack on Austin Municipal Airport

Victim Profile

Austin Municipal Airport, a public use facility located in Austin, Minnesota, spans 278 acres and features a single concrete runway, 17/35, measuring 5,800 by 100 feet. In a 12-month period concluding May 22, 2009, the airport recorded 25,420 aircraft operations, predominantly general aviation (98%), with the remainder split between air taxi (1%) and military (1%). The airport housed 25 aircraft, 80% of which were single-engine, with the remaining 20% comprising other types of aircraft.

Vulnerabilities and Mitigation

The precise vulnerabilities exploited in the Hiveleak ransomware attack on Austin Municipal Airport remain unspecified. Nonetheless, ransomware attacks typically leverage software vulnerabilities, outdated systems, or human errors, such as susceptibility to phishing emails or the use of weak passwords. To counteract the threat of ransomware, it is imperative for organizations to consistently update their software, enforce the use of strong passwords, and conduct regular cybersecurity training for their employees.

The incident at Austin Municipal Airport underscores the persistent risk of ransomware across various sectors, including transportation. Although the specific vulnerabilities targeted in this instance are not disclosed, the importance of implementing robust cybersecurity measures—such as software updates, strong password policies, and employee training—cannot be overstated in mitigating ransomware threats.


Recent Ransomware Attacks

The Recent Ransomware Attacks (RRA) site acts as a watchtower, providing you with near real-time ransomware tracking of attacks, groups and their victims. Given threat actors’ overarching, lucrative success so far, ransomware attacks have become the most ubiquitous, and financially and informationally impactful cyber threat to businesses and organizations today.

The site’s data is generated based on hosting choices of real-world threat actors, and a handful of other trackers. While sanitization efforts have been taken, we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of the data. Attack updates will be made as source data is reported by reputable sources. By viewing, accessing, or using RRA you acknowledge you are doing so at your own risk.