Coca-Cola Myanmar Hit by RansomHub: 800GB of Data Stolen in Cyberattack

Incident Date:

June 27, 2024

World map



Coca-Cola Myanmar Hit by RansomHub: 800GB of Data Stolen in Cyberattack


Coca Cola Myanmar Company




Yangon, Myanmar

, Myanmar

First Reported

June 27, 2024

RansomHub Ransomware Attack on Coca-Cola Myanmar Company

Overview of Coca-Cola Myanmar Company

Coca-Cola Myanmar Company operates as a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company, a global beverage leader headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. The company is responsible for the production, distribution, and marketing of Coca-Cola products within Myanmar. Their operations encompass a wide range of activities aimed at ensuring the availability and popularity of Coca-Cola beverages in the local market.

Coca-Cola Myanmar focuses on manufacturing, operating bottling plants equipped with advanced technology to produce a variety of beverages, including Coca-Cola, Sprite, and Fanta. The company adheres to stringent quality control measures to maintain the consistency and safety of their products. Additionally, Coca-Cola Myanmar has developed an extensive distribution network to ensure their products reach consumers across the country. Marketing and branding are also key components of their strategy, with significant investments in advertising campaigns to promote their products and enhance brand recognition.

In addition to their commercial activities, Coca-Cola Myanmar is involved in corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives, focusing on areas such as education, health, and environmental sustainability. The company also places a strong emphasis on sustainability, implementing practices aimed at reducing their environmental footprint.

Details of the Ransomware Attack

The Coca-Cola Myanmar Company has fallen victim to a ransomware attack orchestrated by the RansomHub group. This breach led to the exfiltration of approximately 800GB of data, underscoring the escalating threat of cyberattacks on global businesses. Ransomware attacks typically involve encrypting a victim's data, making it inaccessible until a ransom is paid, which can severely disrupt operations, cause financial losses, and tarnish reputations. The stolen data from the Coca-Cola Myanmar Office likely includes sensitive information such as customer data, financial records, and internal communications, with databases specifically reported as compromised.

About RansomHub

RansomHub is a new ransomware group that has recently emerged in the cyber threat landscape, distinguishing themselves by making claims and backing them up with data leaks. The group is believed to have roots in Russia, with operations resembling a traditional Russian ransomware setup. RansomHub operates as a Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS) group, with affiliates receiving 90% of the ransom money and the remaining 10% going to the main group.

The group has targeted various countries without following a specific pattern, including the US, Brazil, Indonesia, and Vietnam. Healthcare-related institutions are among the listed victims, with Change Healthcare being a notable target. RansomHub's ransomware strains are written in Golang, which is a relatively new trend in the ransomware world. This language choice may be a step towards future trends, as other recent ransomware strains, such as GhostSec and GhostLocker, have also been written in Golang.

Potential Vulnerabilities and Penetration Methods

While the specific method of penetration used by RansomHub in the Coca-Cola Myanmar attack has not been disclosed, common vulnerabilities that ransomware groups exploit include weak passwords, unpatched software, and phishing attacks. Given the extensive operations of Coca-Cola Myanmar, including their manufacturing, distribution, and marketing activities, the company likely has a complex IT infrastructure that could present multiple entry points for cyber attackers. The use of advanced technology in their bottling plants and extensive distribution network may also introduce additional vulnerabilities if not properly secured.


Recent Ransomware Attacks

The Recent Ransomware Attacks (RRA) site acts as a watchtower, providing you with near real-time ransomware tracking of attacks, groups and their victims. Given threat actors’ overarching, lucrative success so far, ransomware attacks have become the most ubiquitous, and financially and informationally impactful cyber threat to businesses and organizations today.

The site’s data is generated based on hosting choices of real-world threat actors, and a handful of other trackers. While sanitization efforts have been taken, we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of the data. Attack updates will be made as source data is reported by reputable sources. By viewing, accessing, or using RRA you acknowledge you are doing so at your own risk.