RansomHub's Ransomware Attack Disrupts Leading Indian IT Firm CIPL

Incident Date:

June 27, 2024

World map



RansomHub's Ransomware Attack Disrupts Leading Indian IT Firm CIPL


Corporate Infotech Pvt. Ltd.




Noida, India

, India

First Reported

June 27, 2024

RansomHub Claims Ransomware Attack on Corporate Infotech Pvt. Ltd.

Overview of Corporate Infotech Pvt. Ltd. (CIPL)

Corporate Infotech Pvt. Ltd. (CIPL) is a leading IT solutions provider based in India, offering a wide range of services to meet the diverse needs of businesses in the technology sector. Founded in 2007 in Jaipur, Rajasthan, CIPL has grown significantly, employing 1,208 people and generating an annual revenue of $292.5 million. The company specializes in IT consulting, system integration, managed IT services, and the supply and installation of IT hardware and software. CIPL also emphasizes cybersecurity, providing solutions such as firewalls, antivirus software, and intrusion detection systems. Their client-centric approach has helped them build long-term relationships and deliver value beyond technology.

Details of the Ransomware Attack

Recently, CIPL was targeted by a ransomware attack carried out by the RansomHub group. This attack compromised the company's operations and data security, posing significant challenges to its business continuity and financial stability. The company's website, www.cipl.org.in, may also have been affected. RansomHub claimed responsibility for the attack on their dark web leak site, where they often post data leaks to substantiate their claims. While the specifics of the attack remain unclear, it is likely that RansomHub exploited vulnerabilities in CIPL's IT infrastructure to gain access to sensitive data and systems.

Profile of RansomHub

RansomHub is a relatively new player in the ransomware landscape, believed to have origins in Russia. Operating as a Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS) group, RansomHub's affiliates receive 90% of the ransom money, with the remaining 10% going to the main group. The group has targeted various countries, including the US, Brazil, Indonesia, and Vietnam, without following a specific pattern. RansomHub's ransomware strains are written in Golang, a programming language that has gained popularity in the ransomware world, indicating a trend towards more sophisticated and resilient attacks. The group has distinguished itself by making claims and backing them up with data leaks, adding credibility to their threats.

Potential Vulnerabilities and Attack Vectors

While the exact method of penetration used by RansomHub in the CIPL attack is not publicly known, several potential vulnerabilities could have been exploited. These may include unpatched software, weak passwords, or inadequate network security measures. Given CIPL's extensive involvement in IT services and cybersecurity, the attack underscores the importance of maintaining robust security protocols and staying vigilant against emerging threats. RansomHub's use of Golang for their ransomware strains suggests a level of sophistication that could bypass traditional security measures. Organizations must adopt a multi-layered approach to cybersecurity, combining advanced threat detection technologies with regular security assessments and employee training to mitigate the risk of such attacks.


Recent Ransomware Attacks

The Recent Ransomware Attacks (RRA) site acts as a watchtower, providing you with near real-time ransomware tracking of attacks, groups and their victims. Given threat actors’ overarching, lucrative success so far, ransomware attacks have become the most ubiquitous, and financially and informationally impactful cyber threat to businesses and organizations today.

The site’s data is generated based on hosting choices of real-world threat actors, and a handful of other trackers. While sanitization efforts have been taken, we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of the data. Attack updates will be made as source data is reported by reputable sources. By viewing, accessing, or using RRA you acknowledge you are doing so at your own risk.