RansomHub Ransomware Breach Exposes Cloud Europe S.r.l's Security Flaws

Incident Date:

June 27, 2024

World map



RansomHub Ransomware Breach Exposes Cloud Europe S.r.l's Security Flaws


Cloud Europe S.r.l




Roma, Italy

, Italy

First Reported

June 27, 2024

RansomHub Ransomware Attack on Cloud Europe S.r.l: A Detailed Analysis

Overview of Cloud Europe S.r.l

Cloud Europe S.r.l, headquartered in Rome, Italy, is a prominent player in the cloud computing sector. The company specializes in providing a comprehensive range of cloud services, including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS). Their offerings are designed to help businesses scale their IT resources efficiently, develop and deploy applications seamlessly, and access software applications over the internet on a subscription basis.

One of the key strengths of Cloud Europe S.r.l is their focus on security and service continuity. They implement robust security measures, including encryption, access controls, and regular security audits, to protect data and applications hosted in the cloud. Additionally, the company provides consulting and support services to assist businesses in transitioning to the cloud and optimizing their cloud environments.

Details of the Ransomware Attack

On June 28, 2024, Cloud Europe S.r.l fell victim to a ransomware attack orchestrated by the RansomHub group. The attack resulted in the encryption of the company's servers and the theft of over 70TB of data. The attackers also exfiltrated more than 541.46 GB of sensitive information and gained access to another company's data through Cloud Europe's network. The threat actors claimed to maintain persistent access to Cloud Europe's network as well as those of its clients and partners, mocking the company's security measures, particularly those involving TrendMicro.

About RansomHub

RansomHub is a relatively new ransomware group that has quickly made a name for itself in the cyber threat landscape. Believed to have roots in Russia, RansomHub operates as a Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS) group, with affiliates receiving 90% of the ransom money and the remaining 10% going to the main group. The group has targeted various countries, including the US, Brazil, Indonesia, and Vietnam, without following a specific pattern. Notably, healthcare-related institutions have been among their victims.

RansomHub's ransomware strains are written in Golang, a language that is becoming increasingly popular among ransomware developers. This choice of language may indicate a trend towards more sophisticated and harder-to-detect ransomware attacks in the future.

Potential Vulnerabilities and Attack Vectors

While Cloud Europe S.r.l is known for its robust security measures, the successful attack by RansomHub highlights potential vulnerabilities that could have been exploited. The attackers' ability to maintain persistent access suggests that they may have leveraged advanced techniques such as phishing, exploiting unpatched vulnerabilities, or using stolen credentials to infiltrate the network. The mocking of TrendMicro's security measures indicates that the attackers may have found ways to bypass or disable these defenses.

Given the scale and impact of the attack, it is crucial for Cloud Europe S.r.l and other organizations to continuously evaluate and enhance their security posture. This includes regular security audits, timely patching of vulnerabilities, and comprehensive user training to recognize and respond to potential threats.


Recent Ransomware Attacks

The Recent Ransomware Attacks (RRA) site acts as a watchtower, providing you with near real-time ransomware tracking of attacks, groups and their victims. Given threat actors’ overarching, lucrative success so far, ransomware attacks have become the most ubiquitous, and financially and informationally impactful cyber threat to businesses and organizations today.

The site’s data is generated based on hosting choices of real-world threat actors, and a handful of other trackers. While sanitization efforts have been taken, we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of the data. Attack updates will be made as source data is reported by reputable sources. By viewing, accessing, or using RRA you acknowledge you are doing so at your own risk.